How you know your children are grown ups:
(These are meant to be humorous, but the more I get into it, the more I realize I’m not really joking. ❤️🧡💛💚💜)
1. When they don’t call for a few days, (instead of feeling dread) you feel pride in knowing they are navigating life well…all on their own.
2. They tell you, a few days AFTER the trip, that they enjoyed spending a few days in a city other than the one they live in.
3. They take vacations.
4. They go see a therapist and also pay for it.
5. They send pictures of the meals they’ve made or are enjoying.
6. They give you a quick call to check in…because they got to work TOO early.
7. Their social media pictures have become photos you actually want to share with your friends and family. 😂😂😂
8. Their significant others text you photos of your child doing something they think you would be proud to see.
9. They worry about you a little bit.
10. You miss hanging out with them, but then realize the whole goal was to cultivate independence and the capacity to care for themselves.
(And yeah…now that I’ve finished writing this I realize it isn’t funny at all. It’s more like a gratitude list. 🙏🏻)
Good morning friends.
“There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.”
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe